Posted on: 3 November 2014
One of the big trends in hot couture, such as Wildfox, is funny animals or images embroidered on shirts and sweaters. You might love this look but can't afford the high end clothing. Why not recreate your own embroidered sweater? All it takes is a charcoal transfer technique and some sewing skills.
What You Need:
- Paper towel
- Artist charcoal
- Colored markers
- Embroidery hoop
- Embroidery thread
- Print a copy of the animal you want to place on your sweater. Popular choices include sheep, dogs, cats, and penguins. Print it to fit the entire size of the paper.
- Turn the printed image upside down on a hard surface.
- Color the back of the image with the charcoal. Press hard with the charcoal so that the back of the paper becomes good and black.
- Wipe off the back of the image with paper towel. This gets rid of excess charcoal that might get all over the sweater.
- Place the charcoal covered image right side up on the sweater. Place it where you want the image on the sweater. The most common choice is in the center of the chest.
- Trace the image with one of the markers. Keep the marker closed and just trace with the tip of the lid. Press firmly so that the charcoal transfers to the sweater.
- Remove the paper from the sweater. You will see a faint outline of your image on the clothing.
- Trace the image on the sweater using the markers. If your image has several colors, use a different marker for each area. This way you'll know what color embroidery floss to use without having to look at the original image for reference.
- Place a section of the transferred image in the embroidery hoop. Make sure it's tight.
- Embroider the image to the sweater using the embroidery floss and needle. Use different embroidery stitches to create an interesting look. Make sure to tie all knots on the inside of the sweater.
- Move the embroidery hoop to a new section and repeat until the image is complete.
Tips and Tricks:
- You can use cheap charcoal pencils instead of artist's charcoal. It is less messy but more tiring on the hand. If you use pencils, you can skip the paper towel step.
- Draw your own image to put on the sweater for a unique design.
- Your new sweater is washable. The thread won't come out. Just follow washing instructions on the clothing.
Don your new sweater and go out into the world. Everyone will love it and you'll feel like a high class designer for Wildfox couture.Share